Architects and Artists
Architects and Artists
The brothers Zimmermann are considered to be among the greatest artists of the Bavarian rococo . They came from Gaispoint, a tiny village belonging to the monastery of Wessobrunn in the Weilheim-Schongau district. This district had already produced a fair number of architects, stuccowork artists and painters. Examples of the two brothers' work are to be found throughout Europe, for example in France, Poland, Russia etc. . The Zimmermann brothers were the culmination of what is known as the great "Wessobrunn Epoch".
Born in Wessobrunn in 1685 and dying in 1766 in his house directly by the Wies Church, he was not only an architect, but also did stuccowork and marbling. He was one of the most talented and famous artists of his time. He learned from the local master Johann Schmuzer, and worked in Füssen for J. J. Herkomer. In 1716 he became a citizen of Landsberg. At various points in his artistic career he worked in Biberbach, Buxheim, Gutenzell, Maria Mödlingen, Landsberg, Neresheim, Steinhausen, Günzburg, and Fischingen in Switzerland, amongst others. The crowning of his life is the Wies Church, the most perfect rococo church in the world.
Johann Baptist Zimmermann, the brother of Dominikus, John Baptist, was born in Wessobrunn in 1680 and died in 1758 as a court painter in Munich . He was one of the most sought after fresco painters and stuccowork artists of his time. His work is found in Andechs, the Nymphenburg Castle, Wemding, Weyarn, and the convent of Herrenchiemsee amongst others. In the Wies, he did the stuccowork and painted the ceiling frescoes, the theological idea for which is attributable to the monks of Steingaden: healing, forgiveness and the fullness of grace.
Balthasar August Albrecht (1687-1765) He was court painter in Munich. In the Wies he created the high altar between 1753 and 1754.
Anton Sturm (1690-1757) His four large statues of the Western Church Fathers stand between the double pillars, along both sides of the nave, and smaller figures grace both sides altars.
Ägidius Verhelst (1696-1749) His statues of the four Evangelists and of two prophets stand on each side of the high altar.
Johann Georg Bergmüller (1688-1762): His painting adorns the north altar.
Joseph Mages (l728-1769) His painting adorns the south altar.